As a serial entrepreneur and having built and sold 7 businesses (5 of which were acquired by major PLC’s including Sensormatic Inc and Chubb), John O’Connell returned to education in his 40’s and graduated from Bristol University in 2000 with a BA in Marketing and Business Studies. With nearly 30 years experience in the Security Industry worldwide, 9 years in the Police force, and the last 3 years in the Renewable Energy Business, John joined Rathbone Results as a partner to work predominantly with businesses in the Security and Fire Industry. John has extensive experience in company restructuring, turnarounds, business management and has successfully prepared and coached 6 companies for acquisition.
Some of John’s professional highlights include:
- Having one of his companies voted 10th in the Fast Growth Top Fifty Companies in the UK.
- Being a leader in Business Development Strategy implementation and fast growth programs.
- Developing & Designing the Body Worn CCTV “Eyewitness999”
- Turning around a West & Wales branch of Sensormatic and increasing their turnover by 270% and moving from a loss to a £1.8m profit.
- Developing the Silent PTZ Dome Camera in 1997 for the World Wide Casino Industry.
- Preparing a “White Paper” in 2002 on the potential terrorist anthrax attack on the UK’s water supply and reservoirs.
- Brought “Passive Man Guarding” to Camden Town, London via Chubb Plc. (£2.2m pa)
- Designed and implemented “An Action Plan” for AC Controls, Slough, to be acquired by G4S some 16 months later.
John prides himself on being able to monitor trends and spot gaps in the market, to increase sales and to inspire others to maximise profits.